For our family of 5 it takes at least 3 days to prepare for a trip. Washing clothes, preparing schoolwork and misc items to take.
So once we start putting the clothes into the suitcases they look like this:
Organized and folded. Everything has a place and it fits perfectly into the suitcase. That is how I believe we can start our life or deputation . We try and plan everything and have everything organized. We try to prepare for situations that might happen along the way. I am not saying that we have everything under control just that we try to prepare beforehand.
Well….after being on deputation for 6 months, I can say that there is nothing that can prepare you for all the different emotions or situations you will face. You never know what is going to happen, except that God is in control and not us.
So after traveling on a trip the suitcase now looks like this:
Everything is messed up. Nothing is in its place. You can’t find anything. If we are not careful, and we try to take everything into our own hands then this is how our life can be. We start out good and we think”this is not so bad” and then reality and life sets in and we say “what was I thinking?“
But today I wanted to share with you some things I learned while on deputation:
- I learned to take deputation as a learning experience and a time to be an encouragement to the people and the churches we visit.
- I learned that even though I don’t feel like smiling I should still smile. You never know when someone is watching and can be encouraged by your smile.
- I learned to be willing and happy to do whatever the pastor asks of me. Even if it is in the spur of the moment.
- I learned that my kids are watching me to see how I will respond to situations.
- I learned that there is nothing greater than waking up every morning with my family near me.
I am still learning and am excited to see what God is going to do in our ministry while on deputation. I pray that we all learn to allow God to be in control of our lives. He knows what is best for us.
Have a great day!!